Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dinner, corn and gluten free!

Liam had some allergy testing done and might have a corn allergy. We will know more after his second round of tests. Until then we're avoiding corn for him and gluten for me. It really isn't too hard, I just substituted tapioca starch for corn starch in my flour mixture to make chicken strips. Dinner was great, and Liam cleaned his plate.

Allergy Free Chicken Strips:
(amounts depend on the chicken you have)
  • skinless boneless chicken breast
  • rice flour, seasoning mix (I used a savory garlic and parsley one), tapioca starch (to give it some crunch), kosher salt, and ground flax (adds flavor, texture, and is super healthy)
  • Whole milk, used to dip the chicken in. 
  • I fried the chicken in canola oil, it has a higher smoke point than olive and no flavor. Plus, its heart healthy.
Sides:
  • asparagus cooked in a little olive oil and carmelized onions. Added kosher salt for flavor. 
  • Dill potatoes, which I make fairly often. 
  • Cheese sauce from my French cookbook. Can be a little tricky, but once mastered is pretty easy. it has egg yolk, butter, milk, cheese, and salt. 
  • Plus a side salad with green olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment